Google
 

6 December 2008

QUICKY MITTS

Last weekend I finally got around to making something from the Blue Faced Leicester fibre dyed in the workshop at the Middle Essex Guild a few months ago.





I'd spun it during the week and was really pleased with the two balls of yarn I had. (In the picture the two bigger balls are the two ply ones spun to match - the little ball is the leftover singles - navajo plied)





Needless to say I was itching to get going - I actually started knitting in bed when we went to stay with friends! By the time we left I'd done one cuff.



I just measured my wrist (six inches) did a quick swatch and worked out that with size 10 knitting needles my rib was 61/2 stitches per inch. As I was doing K1P1 rib. and needed and even number. I cast on 38 stitches and worked a couple of inches of rib. I then cast off all bar one stitch.



Next I did 2 chain and then picked up along one edge with a 3.5mm crochet hook - I picked up using double crochet stitches - enough to open it up a bit but not so many as to make the edge of the cuff start to flute.


At the end of the first crochet row I joined with a slip stitch, then again did 2 chain and worked in double (american single) crochet increasing every 2 or 3 stitches over this row, once again joining with a slip stitch. I did the same for the next row by which time I had enough stitches. (basically I just tried it on with every row and had a look to see how much I needed to increase) I now carried on in double crochet until I reached the thumb knuckle.



At this point I changed to crocheting back and forth missing the 5 stitches at the end of the row. I worked like this until I passed the web between thumb and forefinger.









I now made three chain at the end of the row and slip stitched to the other side.




Then I carried on working in the round until the work reached just past my knuckles.




Finally I picked up double crochet stitches around the open square around the thumb and worked in the round decreasing several stitches each row and trying every row for fit.





6 comments:

Corvus said...

Those are lovely! I need to figure out this "crochet" thing.

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Nice job on the gloves. I love the color of the yarn.

Unknown said...

Nice colors and mitts.

Rosie said...

They are gorgeous (and could solve a few Xmas present problems that I'm having, though I must bear in mind that the rest of the family have dainty hands, unlike my large ones!)

peahen said...

I thought I was the only one who has taken knitting to friends' houses or knitted in bed!! This is a real inspiration, I love seeing finished projects from handspun. Great looking mitts. Thanks.

Em said...

What beautiful yarn!!
The color variations look so well together!
Keep up the good work!
peace,
Beatnik.